Friday, April 11, 2008

Testing with old browsers

Corporate policies could be a nightmare at times. As much as I understand the hassle of changing browsers and adjusting the applications to work with them I cannot appreciate folks who use IE6, refuse to use IE7 (which is, after all, a better beast then its predecessor) and don't want to start using Firefox.

My development machines are all upgraded to IE7 (XP still, though) and I now have a need to test against IE6 which is exclusively used for my current project. Well, luckily you can get old browsers from http://browsers.evolt.org/. Installed it (well unzipped it, really) and seems to work (showing my messed-up UI as expected). About Us from Help incorrectly displays version 7 dialog box. Ah, well...

(Updated 23 May 2008):
One thing that does not work is the CSS hack through HTML comments. You probably know of being able to use a conditional inclusion of a CSS file by using IE-only conditional (